Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Finished with Fingers

One of the first photos we recieved of KJ. She was 6.5 months old.
May 2005...13.5 months old.
August 2005...19 months old.June 2006...27 months old.
July 2006...28 months old.

These were taken a couple of months after she came home.


KJ and KR...they are truly sisters! Just look at them together...aren't they adorable??!

I am happy to say that both of the girls are done sucking their fingers!! Yippee and hooray!! KR decided one night about three weeks go that she wanted to quit sucking them so we started putting tape on one of them each night before going to bed. The goal was that the fingers would feel differently in her mouth should she put them in there without thinking about it. I was so proud of how determined she was (we have tried this in the past but she just didn't want to give them up bad enough to stick with it). We have not had to use the tape the past three nights and she has continued to do well, so I think it's pretty safe to say we are "finally" done with that stage of her life! Now KJ's success at stopping was purely by accident...an accident to her finger that is! I have no idea how, but she got a small cut on the tip of one of the fingers she sucks on. It was painful for her to put in her mouth for a couple of days and that was just long enough for her to stop sucking them. I thought perhaps she would go back to them once the cut was healed since it was just a small one, but she hasn't. I figured that when she was stressed or very upset about something the need for the soothing would reappear (as you can tell from the pictures above, they have been very important to her since she was a tiny baby), but it hasn't...needless to say, I am very pleased to have them both over this at the same time! Now, I wouldn't advocate cutting your child's finger to get them to stop sucking them, but hey, it worked for us so you might give it a try (kidding, of course). Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures.

I do have some other things I want to post on here soon, but it's getting late tonight and I need to head to bed. I will try to update again tomorrow with the other things I wanted to "bore" you with! Have a great night/day!

0 comments: