Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Break

Here are some pictures of our spring break week. Instead of getting away this year we decided to stay around the area and do some things we either haven't ever done or haven't done for a while. We also ended up spending a lot of money eating out at places we don't normall eat at because they are pretty expensive for our family.  We spent a lot of "family time" together, which we both think went pretty well.  :-0

The first thing we did was visit the zoo in a town a couple of hours from here.  The pens are pretty small, but the animals all look healthy and well cared for.  KB had a good time using the new camera to zoom in and get some nice shots.  Most of these pictures were taken by him (which is why he's not in any of them!)






This was one FAT orangutan!!  I doubt it would be so obese in the wild...

This monkey was not actually part of the zoo...it was just a wild one hanging out.  These are quite common here and I often see them when I take my walks in the mornings. They are a type of leaf monkey and I like them since they tend to stay in the trees and not try to threaten me while I'm walking (unlike some other monkeys here...I dislike them intently!).
This is a Malaysian tapir.  Kind of funny looking creatures, don't you think?
I can't remember the name of this animal but it sure is amazing looking...very strong.  I would hate to get in its way if it went on a rampage!
Malaysian sun bear.
KB actually zoomed in quite a ways through some trees to get this picture.  I thought it turned out neat.
This was also zoomed in quite far...she looks like she's looking right at the camera.
After we left the zoo we travelled to another town called Ipoh, which is even farther south.  We were hoping to take the kids swimming at the hotel pool, but by the time we got there it was storming and unsafe to swim.  It stopped raining about 7 and with the pool closing at 7:30, the kids only got to swim for about half an hour.  We went out for supper afterwards, driving around and around trying to find an Indian restaurant to eat at.  We didn't have any success and ended up at a mall at Kenny Roger's Roasters (any of you heard of this restaurant?  I never had until I came here.).  We then returned to the hotel and watched a movie on our dvd player before heading to bed.

This was the view from our room the next morning. We were glad to see the sun was shining because we had a day at the waterpark planned and we didn't want it to storm again and ruin that.
Water park entrance.  It was in a beautiful area of town.
View...


Reticulated python...
The back of the park.

They had about six tigers in their care and had a feeding later in the afternoon we attended.

Dad and kids in the lazy river.
Feeding the fish...there were tons of them.
Riding the carousel...they had a VERY small "dry" park for the kids.  
KD and KL (sorta) enjoying their ride...
We returned to Penang Monday night and then Tuesday we went out to a nearby hotel (we had a free night's stay there given to us by our last year's senior class parents..we hadn't gotten around to using it yet).  This particular hotel has a great pool and slide.  KJ really enjoyed going down it many, many times.  What fun to watch her face :-)




That takes care of the first part of the week.  I will share about the second part in my next post!  

1 comments:

Sharmin said...

Kyle loves the photo of the tiger. Great pictures at the zoo, too. :)