Monday, May 5, 2008

Piano recital, science fair, and sunsets

It's that time of year again...time for piano recitals (and musicals and band concerts etc). We currently only have one of our kids taking piano lessons (KL) and he asks us to let him quit at least once a month. So far we have managed to stand firm in our decision to make him continue through at least next year. We both hate for him to quit because, with a little practice, he could probably be a good piano player. He brought it up again today on the way to the recital. I had to give him the mom speech about how nothing comes easy and free, but that if you work hard for it someday all your hardwork pays off and you can appreciate the journey to get there (as well as the end result). Over all he took it pretty well and let the subject drop. I'm sure he will be bringing it up again next soon. Here is his performance from this afternoon.


Last week we had the annual science fair at our school. It was incredibly hot and very crowded in our small chapel (I think they need a different venue next year). It didn't help any that it was pouring rain outside so no one wanted to go home until it let up. It was hard to get around the room to see all the projects, but most of the ones I did see were very interesting and were well done (I thought). This year all of the projects had to have an interactive component, which was a very neat idea. I think it made the fair more enjoyable for everyone. KD and his group of boys made a homemade seismograph. In the end, I don't think it worked quite as well as they had hoped, but they did put quite a bit of work into it (at least a couple of them did anyway). Here are KD and a couple of the boys from his group posing beside the machine.

Finally, the weekend before last we were blessed by this gorgeous sunset. There are some pretty ones here, but ones like this don't come around everyday.
Have a great week!!

0 comments: