Friday, April 4, 2008

Spring Break

We are back from our time on Perhentian Island (off the east coast of Malaysia). We had a great time. The weather was cooperative, the water was gorgeous and we managed to return without getting seriously sunburnt! Overall, we think it was a very successful trip! We got up at 5 a.m. on Sunday morning and headed out about 6 or so. A colleague of ours, who had been there recently, said he made the trip to the jetty in four hours, but it took us seven! I don't know how fast he was driving, but I just don't see how you can make it there that quickly! Once we arrived at the jetty it took about an hour for us to be ready to head out on our speed boats. The trip from the mainland to the island takes about half an hour. When we went three years ago the water was choppy which made the ride on the speed boat rough and wet. This time, however, things couldn't have been smoother, for which we were thankful (although the kids loved the wild ride last time!). I am going to post pictures below and tell the story of our time there as I go.

Along the highway, in the highlands, on the way over you see signs like this. We had never actually seen an elephant in the wild on our other two trips over (we had seen plenty of elephant droppings though), this time we were lucky and spotted one along the road. Of course we had to stop and take some pictures of it.

As the kids are all running along the side of the road from the van back to where we had originally spotted the elephant I couldn't help but wonder how wise we were to allow them to be out in the open when there was a wild elephant nearby! I immediatly thought of Yellowstone Park and all the tourists who risk their lives to get a good photo of a bison (and how incredibly ignorant I think people are to approach them that closely). I kept thinking "here we are doing the same thing!" Not that we were that close to the elephant, but still. If it had decided to charge there wouldn't have been much protection to be had there. I am just EXTREMELY glad it didn't!




Here we are on our speed boat and ready to go. KJ was quite excited about the new adventure.




Enjoying the breeze! It was hard to take a photo because of all the bouncing around you were doing while you were trying to take it.



This is the view that greets you when you arrive at Mama's (the place we stayed). Isn't the water beautiful?



Because the water is too shallow and there is too much (dead) coral to approach the shore with the regular speedboats, you have to transfer all of your gear and yourselves to a smaller boat which takes you to shore.



This is the room Greg and I and the girls stayed in (the boys had a separate room in back). It was the same one that we stayed in three years ago as well. It hasn't changed too much, although the bed has been updated (I think). And they have added AC since we were there last so that was very nice to have (even though they turned the electricity off from about 4-7 p.m. everyday).




Besides snorkeling, we rented a kayak a couple of times and enjoyed paddling around looking for turtles. We did not see any the time I went out with Greg and KJ but others were more successful. KJ kept saying she wanted to go back, so we didn't spend too much time out and about.



The boys giving it a try.




On Tuesday the people next door to our cabin checked out and a new family moved in. The first thing we noticed about them was that they were a family like ours...an adoptive family. I am not sure I would have approached them at all, but the father of the family recognized Greg as being one of the coaches of the varsity boys basketball team at our school. This man is the principal at a school in KL and he also coaches his varsity boys team. Because he approached Greg first, it then broke the ice for more visiting and learning about their family. They have two bio children and a little girl who was adopted at birth here in Malaysia, who is of Indian descent. Turns out their bio daughter is only 2 months younger than KR, and they became fast friends. It was such a blessing to have a playmate for her as she had been bored without anyone her age to play with. They ended up doing quite a lot together, including KR's first attempt at snorkeling in deeper water. I don't think she would have been brave enough to try it (believe me we were working and working on her to give it a try but she refused) if it weren't for this other little girl encouraging her. In the end she had a GREAT time seeing all the fish and she is SO glad she decided to do it.
Here they are starting out together (KR on the left).


After they are back to shore.


All finished and so excited.


While the bigger girls were snorkelling the little ones were tired and decided to take a nap on the beach.

Notice the fingers...yes, we have regressed in that department...Waaaahhhhhh!!

On the first day we met this family we were visiting with the grandmother, who was in Malaysia visiting her son and family. One of the first questions you often get asked by someone you don't know is where you are from. When this lady asked me this, I said we were teachers at Dalat school but that we originally came from Wyoming. Looking a bit surprised she asked us where in Wyoming. I told her I was from NE Wyoming but that Greg had grown up in Cody. Then she said, "Oh really, I live in Cody."!!! She went on to tell me that she works at Wal-Mart (checker) four days a week (Sat-Tues) and has been there for 6.5 years (in Cody that is)! So, Grandma, in Cody, here is her picture (along with her son) so you can recognize her next time you are in there (I think she said her name is Jan or something like that). I told her I would tell you to stop by and say "hi" next time you are there (on those days) and let her know who you are!! What are the chances of meeing someone from Cody, WY on our vacation??!!



Finally, here are some other pictures I just wanted to share with you.
KR with her snorkeling gear on.



One of the highlights of the trip for me was being able to see a sea turtle (and touch it!). We didn't see any when we were kayaking but I did make it out snorkeling for a bit one afternoon. If you look at the picture below you can see some real turquoise water past the coral/rocks in the water (almost to the opposite shore...or better yet, click on the picture and you can see it larger). That is where we had the most luck spotting the turtles. I wish we could have gotten pictures of them but none of us had a waterproof disposable camera. I guess we will just have to live with the memories instead.

Here are the kids in our group (minus one boy, not sure where he was at the time).
Looking down the row of the cabins on the beach. Ours is immediately to the left with the sandals leaning up against the porch.
KL and his friend enjoying the sunset.
View of the mainland from the speed boat on the way back to the jetty.



************************************************************



And last but not least, today is my nephew, Rilee's fifth birthday. I am not sure if he will even read this, but if he does I want him to know we are thinking of him today and wishing him a very special day! Hugs and kisses from all your cousins, Rilee. We hope you have a wonderful day! Here is a digital layout I did of him from last summer.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, these photos are terrific! Fun to read through and see the photos at the same time. Makes me want to go now. :)